So today, I found out that one of my friends is engaged. And all he got out of it was a Rolex.
Today, I also realized that State Universities and College educations for all are not sustainable in the long run (if you look at New York as a case study). It seems that states are moving towards that by making graduation requirements more difficult. 6% of the graduating class of a New York City public school passed their regents (it's a standardized state exam). That means that only 6% of that graduating class can actually graduate. With fewer students graduating, less prestigious universities and some state schools will either have to shut down or become trade schools. Soon enough we'll see a progression towards a European system and the disappearance of a "well-rounded" education. Private education is too expensive to be sustainable and public education will probably shift to a handful of exceptional institutions and a large number of trade schools. While it makes logical (and economic) sense, it sucks.
Value the opportunity that we have--it may not be around for our kids.
I also got my dad hooked on Strong Bad.
Booked my ticket to go visit my brother in Nashville from July 13th-July 20th. I'm looking forward to that. I haven't spent that much time with him since he's started Med School (3+ years?).
Today, I also realized that State Universities and College educations for all are not sustainable in the long run (if you look at New York as a case study). It seems that states are moving towards that by making graduation requirements more difficult. 6% of the graduating class of a New York City public school passed their regents (it's a standardized state exam). That means that only 6% of that graduating class can actually graduate. With fewer students graduating, less prestigious universities and some state schools will either have to shut down or become trade schools. Soon enough we'll see a progression towards a European system and the disappearance of a "well-rounded" education. Private education is too expensive to be sustainable and public education will probably shift to a handful of exceptional institutions and a large number of trade schools. While it makes logical (and economic) sense, it sucks.
Value the opportunity that we have--it may not be around for our kids.
I also got my dad hooked on Strong Bad.
Booked my ticket to go visit my brother in Nashville from July 13th-July 20th. I'm looking forward to that. I haven't spent that much time with him since he's started Med School (3+ years?).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home